Milwaukee City Hall
200 E. Wells St.
1895

Perhaps Milwaukee's most familiar landmark. It was designed by H.C. Koch and cost over a million dollars in 1895. The building has a base of black granite, 20 feet of Berea sandstone, and St. Louis pressed brick. The roof is slate and copper. At one time the 11 ton bell in the tower was rung frequently, but the vibrations were thought to weaken the 350 foot tower. The bell was silent from 1925 until 2000. It is now heard at 8 a.m., noon, and 5 p.m.