This statue of the founder of the Society for the
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals originally stood
in front of City Hall, in an area known as Market Square.
It was erected on a
huge fountain and watering trough
on the 25th anniversary of Bergh's founding of the
Society. The trough was converted to a flower bed in
1941, and the sculpture (minus trough) was finally moved in 1966 to the grounds
of the Wisconsin Humane Society at 4151 N. Humboldt Blvd.
It was subsequently moved (in 1999), to the new Humane Society facility at
its W. Wisconsin Avenue location. The sculptor was John Mahoney.
(A related organization, the Wisconsin Humane Society, was founded in 1879 with
Richard Whitehead as its superintendent).