Probably the most significant residential landmark in Milwaukee,
this mansion was designed by George Ferry of Ferry & Clas.
The conservatory at the east end of the house was originally
an exhibit pavilion for the display of Pabst (Brewery) products at the
World Columbian Exposition in Chicago, 1893. Pabst was originally
a ship captain and married Maria Best, the daughter of the founder
of Best Brewery. Pabst eventually became the company president,
changing the name to
His sons, Gustave
and Fred Jr. also built mansions of their
own. The Pabst Theater is a legacy to the Pabsts.
Now look at the detail of the entrance.
There is also a
website by the mansion staff -- be sure to check it out.