The first owner, Paine, was a prominent attorney who later moved to Washington
D.C. to become Commissioner of Patents. The original design has been
remodeled many times, most significantly in 1902 by architects Alexander Eschweiler,
and again in 1915 by Fitzhugh Scott. The remodelings were ordered by the
owner at that time, Herman Falk, president of the Falk Corporation. It is the
oldest house on Terrace Ave.