James S. Brown was a prominent lawyer and became Milwaukee's
mayor in 1861. The house was built in close proximity to
downtown business, but on high, dry ground, as opposed to the
swampy areas nearby. Note the parapet end walls characteristic
of the Federal style popular in Milwaukee just prior to the
Civil War. Since 1927 the building has been used for
business and presently houses a womens' fine clothing shop.