Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist (St. John's Roman Catholic Church)
802 N. Jackson St.
1847

One of the city's oldest churches, it originally had a much shorter tower. The present tower was added in 1892. A devastating fire in 1935 destroyed much of the building. Designed by Victor Schulte, with the new tower by Ferry & Clas. At left is the way the cathedral appeared for decades. It was cleaned in 2001.